Posted on

Home production of butane hash oil can be hazardous, and recent events that left two dead should serve as a warning to those interested in trying to DIY the concentrated substance.

According to reports, a large concentration of butane ignited while a homeowner, Matthew McCrann, 42, was trying to produce hash oil and died of the injuries he sustained in the fire. Richard Cisler, 68, who was reportedly renovating the home, was also killed in the fire.

Neighbors responded to the fire on Kirby Avenue quickly, making sure no bystanders were hurt as the flames engulfed a second home. Mike Cook, a neighbor, after searching the alleyway for any children or other injured, returned to his back yard to find McCrann, badly burned. In an interview with The Oregonian/OregonLive, Cook told reporters, “His last words to me were, ‘I’m so sorry. I made a mistake.'”

Investigators haven’t publicly stated what ignited the fire, but Cook said that the dying man told him that he “shouldn’t have started the dryer.” Fire fighters have yet to confirm if the dryer was what had ignited the butane.

Making butane hash oil has attracted increased concern as related explosions, and the ensuing fires, have increased nationally. Oregon is no stranger to the explosions, either. Butane Hash Oil (BHO), also known as honey oil, shatter, wax, and other pseudonyms is popular for it’s high concentration, as well as having little to no smell in solid or vaporized forms, it’s highly portable, and an intense effect is achieved with just a little bit of the substance. BHO has reportedly been known of and made for decades, but has become popular in the last three years, and even eclipsed hash production in some areas.

However, with that popularity has also come a surge of people interested in trying to make it themselves, and the resulting disasters have even resulted in attention from the government and fire officials. The main issue with BHO production isn’t the extraction itself, so much as improper ventilation of butane fumes that can quickly fill a space and become easily ignited. In short, if you’re considering making BHO at home: reconsider. It’s much safer to buy from your nearest dispensary or shop.